Thursday, August 19, 2010

Vanilla July 4th Cupcakes

Ready for those flashing lights

If you didn't already know, you would have found out soon enough, but I am a little monster. I literally only wear make-up when in costume, so I enlisted the help of my amazing friend Cristina to glam my face up for the Monster Ball. I have more in the kitchen than in the bank, so I paid her with these July 4th cupcakes.
It's so delicious, that's money honey.
Yes, those are Christmas tree sprinkles on the middle cupcake. It happened and I went with it, I think those Hot Bread donuts are to blame.

The rest were donated to my family. I don't have a car, so I constantly feel the need to pay them in baked goods for all the places they drive me. Mostly the A&P.
The big ones can be dollars and the itty ones, cents.


Now, I'm not one for dyes and such, but I do like using up all the unhealthy decorations that are taking up precious shelf space.

The cupcakes are a plain white cake, taken from Vegan Lunch Box by Jennifer McCann.

Fluffy White Cupcakes

Yields 22 cupcakes

2 1/8 c white flour
1 1/8 c sugar
2 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1/2 c safflower oil, or any vegetable oil

1 T apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 scant c almond milk

1 1/4 t vanilla extract

Heat oven to 350F. Line cupcake tins with paper liners.

Large bowl, mix together the five dry ingredients. In separate bowl, mix together wet ingredients. Add wet to dry and beat until smooth.

Fill liners about 2/3 full with batter. Bake 15-20 minutes, until an inserted toothpick comes out dry.

Cool in pan for 5 minutes, then transfer cakes to wire rack. Let cool completely before icing.

Icing

1/4 c safflower oil, or any vegetable oil
1/4 c Earth Balance
1 1/2 c powdered sugar
3/4 t vanilla extract
1/8 c almond milk

Beat oil and margarine together until smooth, then beat in sugar, then remaining ingredients. If you desire color, split icing into as many bowls as colors to be used. Mix in a few drops of food coloring to each bowl, stir. Spoon icing onto cakes and spread with back of spoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment