Thursday, August 19, 2010

Cranberry-Orange Scones

Getting colder and colder, the leaves are turning over

My sister woke up at 1pm today wanting a bagel with tofu cream cheese. I don't know how to bake either of those items so I made scones instead.
It's really 80 degrees outside but I can dream.
I add a bunch of dried cranberries to Isa Chandra Moskowitz's recipe from Vegan With a Vengeance. I made her orange glaze for the topping, and out came a seriously autumn scone. I'm noticing that my baked goods are often quite season-confused. Perhaps I will expand on this theme.
Better than a few, a whole big plate.
This was my first time with scones and I feel this is the start of a lovely friendship.

Yields 12 scones

1.5 c white flour
1.5 whole wheat flour
2 T baking powder
1/4 c sugar
1/4 t salt
1/3 safflower oil (or any vegetable oil)
1 1/4 c almond milk
2 t apple cider vinegar
About 2/3 c dried cranberries
2 T orange zest (I skipped this part, but recommend it)

Heat oven at 350F. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper, or lightly with oil.

In large bowl, sift the 5 dry ingredients. Add remaining, mix until just combined. Dough should be clumpy, not sticky (although mine came out a bit sticky).

Split dough into 2 halves. Knead one half a little bit, form into a 6" disk. Using a pizza cutter, make 6 slices, transfer to cookie sheet. Repeat with other half of dough. Bakes about 15 minutes, until bottom is slightly browned and top is firm.

I transferred them immediately to the wire rack, although Isa calls to let them cool completely or near completely.

Orange Glaze

1 c powdered sugar
2 T Earth Balance, melted
2 T orange juice
1 t orange zest

Sift sugar into small bowl, mix in remaining ingredients.

Dip cooled scones into glaze and let set.

No comments:

Post a Comment